Saturday, October 27, 2007

Conversations with Dad

My father and I were talking not too long ago about relationships. This was one of those out of the blue talks that you expect to not hear about in your mid twenties. He sat me down on the couch this past Wednesday and wanted to share some stories pertaining to my mother before they split up.



He asked me was I in a relationship before he began his story. I said no, he doesn't know I am gay! He began on telling me different things that my mom and he used to fight about. Things like: cooking, cleaning, shopping, spare time usage and a host of other behavioral things that came up in arguments and disputes. The base of the story is that not all relationships are destined for doom. They are not all glamour, peaches and cream either! He stated and I distinctly remembered hearing him say that each relationship is different and they each come with its own manual. Only me and my partner can read this manual and correctly interpret it. Don't look for anyone to explain your relationship because they will have you doing something you may not have done in the first place!



I sat there and I listened like a 5 year old getting a lecture from his parents. I was so attentive. I just received a life lesson! I thought I would share this. You never know who needs to hear some things sometime!

10 comments:

Ty said...

Thanks for sharing. I had a talk about three years ago like that with my great-grandmother. Hopefully it will pay off.

Jersey Brotha said...

And that's what life is all about brotha. You take what you have learned and pass the lessons along to others in hopes that it will help them in their journeys in life.

Omar Ramon said...

i say all the time that you can't build a relationship on some vague all encompassing blueprint of what they are "supposed" to be. Everyone is an individual and two individuals come together to form a unique union ( i sound like a preacher at a wedding lol) that HAS to have it's own type of maintenance. It's impossible to expect erbody operate the same.

pops told the truth. Fly post boo. Do ya thang!

One Man’s Opinion said...

I wish I could still sit and talk with my mom.....Makes me a little sad.

i am. said...

makes me think of my dad when he gets drunk. been with my step-mom for 24 years, but still gets the nerve to say 'boy, me and your mother could have had something special'

haha

WhozHe said...

I'm really glad your father sat and had that type of conversation with you. It really is touching.

Promiscuous X said...

I said it once, Ima say it again. Relationships aren't for everybody and everybody aint for me. I glad u posted this cause I've had sum manuals along the way each definitely came with its oown set of instructions. Ya dad knows wat he's talkn bout. Thanks for sharing

Mr. Jones said...

Thanks for posting.

SpecialK261 said...

your daddy is RIGHT!!!!...I thank God i didn't have to wait on someone to tell me that...lol...guess I'm one step ahead...lol

-Special K

mountii said...

wat if u told pops u was gay...explosion or inplosion?